Website Design Guide
A brief explanation of how websites work and how the web in general functions
A brief explanation of web sites
- A web site is a collection of related files stored on a web server
- A web server is a computer that stores web sites and delivers them, on request, to a browser
- A browser is a software programme such as Internet Explorer that allows you to view content on the World Wide Web
- The World Wide Web is a network of servers that delivers information to a web browser in Hyper Text Markup Language
- Hyper Text Markup Language is the code used to tell a browser how to display a web page
- A web page is typically a collection of text and images displayed in a predefined format and reached by typing in or clicking on a Uniform Resource Lcator
- A Uniform Resource Locator is typically an address on the World Wide Web such as http://www.ibrowmedia.com
- ibrowmedia.com are web site developers
What does web site design involve?
- First we talk about your expectations and requirements - with particular emphasis on your 'web presence'.
- We then produce a detailed quote explaining exactly how we will handle your requirements - in other words 'a strategy'
- We produce art work for your approval - this art work will be the basis of your web site
- We start to write the copy based on what you tell us and with your potential customers in mind
- We optimise all graphics for the web and write the code that tells the browser how to display your pages
- We optimise your web pages to ensure that potential user of your site can find you on the World Wide Web
- We test and refine the site as necessary
Depending on the type of web site we update the site on a regular basis or we leave you to update the site after training from us.
How do I know my web site will get found on the World Wide Web?
At ibrow media ltd we build websites to standards that we hope will increase your chances of being found by search engines such as Google. We use high quality servers to deliver your web pages and we word copy on your web site so that it is matched to search phrases we hope your potential customers will use. There are many different ways of building a web site and we are constantly striving to use the latest methods to make your web site as visible to search engines as possible.